Thursday, February 23, 2006

So I'm bad, but can I plead ignorance?

During the week, we'll be looking at the commandments for our devotional. If you haven't checked it out today, go there first. Then, come back here and take a look at some questions people often ask when dealing with the Law.

Many people claim that they will stand before God and simply claim ignorance. They will readily admit that they broke His laws, but then they will say they will claim they didn't know the laws, so God certainly can't hold them responsible. Will this work?

Paul addresses this issue in Romans 2:12-16. Paul explains that the defense won't work because we have the law marked on our hearts. Basically, Paul is saying we all have a conscience that informs us when we are violating God's law. The fact that people that deny God's existance still show morals in their lives prove that we all know right and wrong. We know right and wrong, but we don't always do right.

I remember my first speeding ticket. It was on a street I traveled many times in high school. Just a week earlier, the speed limit had been 55mph on this stretch of road. As I came over the hill I saw the officer's lights. Just that week they had changed the speed limit to 35mph. I truly did not see the sign. I told the officer that I honestly thought I was obeying the law. Guess what? I got the ticket anyway. Ignorance of the law did not change the fact that I violated the law.

No one will be able to stand before God and claim they didn't know any better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web page hit counter